Lipstick has brightened up the lives of women lives since medieval times. What’s not to love about lipstick? It is magical – two swipes and you and your pucker are ready to take over the world.
To date, the lipstick is still one of the most widely used cosmetic products in the world. Pakistani women, with their desi skin tones especially spend high and low to get just the right shade. What is interesting is that local entrepreneurs have picked up on this demand. The local cosmetics industry, an almost non-existent entity up until a decade ago, is now growing in leaps and bounds, and tapping into this need, increasingly providing Pakistani women affordable but quality options specifically for the desi skin tone and type.
Here we round up some of our favourite local lipstick manufacturers and recommend the top shades for you to try!
- Medora of London: Medora is one of the oldest cosmetics brand in Pakistan, around since 1961 to be precise. If you don’t have at least one Medora lipstick in your stash, you are not a true Pakistani makeup buff. Known mostly for their highly pigmented and super affordable matte lipsticks, it’s one of the highest retailed local lipsticks brands. In recent years, Medora has also launched semi-matte, glossy and glitter lipsticks which were well received. Local makeup-a-holics proudly claim that you can find a dupe for almost any cult MAC lipstick shade in Medora, which boasts over 90 matte shades. A lipstick from Medora retails at PKR 110 onwards.
We recommend: Real Red and Chiffon Blush
- Color Studio Professionals: Relatively new, CSP lipsticks have gained momentum in just a couple of years. The most popular is their Color Rush Lipstick series which features a velvety, long-lasting formula. The lipstick brand has a delicious array of shades, though not as diverse as Medora’s count, closing on only 25 shades. CSP lipsticks retail at PKR 595 and are known for rich pigmentation.
We recommend: Rush
- Luscious Signature Lipsticks: A brand that claims to provide high-end quality products rivaling leading international brands, Luscious was founded in 2007 and offers a vast range of makeup products. The most preferred is the Signature Lipsticks series, though its prices rival those of some international lipstick brands also available in the market. The satiny matte formula of the lipstick seals the deal for most. The lipsticks come in 16 satin matte shades and retail at PKR 775
We recommend: Creamy Peach
- Masarrat Misbah Makeup: Freshly launched, Masarrat Misbah Makeup shows lots of promise. Other than claiming to be the first halal makeup brand, this brand is the first to introduce liquid matte lipsticks locally. The formula is rich and long lasting, worth the high pricing of PKR 1100 a pop. The only downside is that since the brand has just launched, shades are limited to only four so far.
We recommend: Phenomenal Red in their liquid lipsticks range
- Sweet Touch: While their lipsticks don’t sell like their nail colours and foundations do, the formula has good color payoff though it can be dry. Another con is the limited range – just 10 shades to choose from. At the same time, the brand has improved considerably and revamped its image in the past year as well and the lipsticks retails at just a mere PKR 295.
We recommend: Shade no. 761 – a peachy pink shade
At the end of the day, makeup is all about feeling and looking good; so try, test, and play around with colours and formulas till you hit your personal lipstick jackpot!
What Goes On Must Come Off – The New Makeup Remover Everyone’s Talking About
What’s worse than getting home past curfew after a rad party? It’s removing heavy eye makeup and budge-proof mascara (shortest horror story) when all you’d rather do is sleep without a care in the world. Nevertheless, sleeping with makeup on is a big no-no as it can clog the pores and irritate the skin.
If you’re tired of rubbing your eyelids raw and shedding a few precious eyelashes in the process, Vaseline will be your new best friend.
Yes, you heard that right! A pot of good ol’ Vaseline is a lifesaver when you want to remove heavy makeup in a matter of minutes. Vaseline’s light, emollient texture helps heavily pigmented makeup slide right off without damaging delicate skin around the eyes. The best part yet, it comes highly recommended by Dermatologists, and they swear by its sheer efficiency.
What else can Vaseline do?
Apart from Vaseline’s tried-and-true makeup removing properties, it can also come to your rescue in the middle of a makeup mishap.
- It can tame grizzly brows and baby hair
- Replenish dehydrated skin
- It can sub in for mascara
Works as a lip balm
50 Shades of Foundation Frenzy – How to Pick One That’s Right for You
The secret to a selfie ready face? The perfect foundation! A foundation should help make your skin look like the best version of itself. The wrong tone and formula can make your skin look sallow and cakey. Here are a few tips to keep in mind for your next beauty haul.
Know your undertone
If you don’t know whether you have a cool, neutral or warm undertone, chances are you’re wearing the wrong shade of foundation. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you have a naturally rosy glow or the veins on your wrist appear blue or purple, you have a cool undertone.
- If the veins on your wrist appear greenish, you have a warm skin tone.
- You have a neutral undertone if your veins appear bluish green.
Sounds like too much work? Don’t worry! Just use the metal jewelry trick. If Gold jewelry pops more on your skin, you have a warm undertone, and if silver looks better, your undertone is cool.
Before you pick the formulation, pick the coverage type; Full, Medium, or Light. Light to Medium coverage foundations will always be more buildable and you can add layers based on the look you want to go for.
The formulation depends on your skin type. If you want an oil-free formula for acne-prone skin, try on a shade that’s LIGHTER than your original shade. Oil-free, matte formulations tend to oxidize after a few hours and turn yellow or orange. Also, steer clear from dewy foundations as they are packed with light-diffusing particles.
For those with dry skin, go for a dewy formula that will cover imperfections and keep skin moisturized throughout the day. Another wrong move that most people make when buying foundation is trying out the shade on the back of your hand. Try it on your jawline instead to check if it’s a match.
Pro tip – Not a fan of heavy formulations? Get Fair & Lovely’s BB Cream – it gives your skin just the right hint of color for a lit-from-within glow.
Two’s a charm
If your shade is not on the cards, don’t settle for any other – mix and match to create your perfect shade. You’ll need a lighter foundation and one that’s slightly darker than your original shade. The good thing about having a foundation duo at your disposal is that you can use it for contouring.
Pro Tip – Always shade test the foundation out on your jawline. This will help get you closest shade to your skin tone.
Got more tips to share? Let us know in the comments below.